Saturday, September 19, 2015

Working on epic Character Design book

It may wind up becoming the best how-to character design book ever published. Certainly one of the best. I'm not aware of anything that can compare to what I'm authoring. It's going to be the most comprehensive educational resource on the subject in the industry. I've got 960 scanned files so far and many of these have multiple images on the page and still I'm scanning. I've accumulated a vast amount of material and have been gradually digitizing it. Much of the content is in the form of notes, lessons and demos created in class while I was lecturing or instructing individual students.

I've got it down to a fine art science. This is going to be a master work. The fundamental basics of Character Design explained in a way that will greatly benefit whoever applies these professional principles. The accumulation of what I've been teaching in the face to face classes at my school The Animation Academy in Burbank over many years. And even before considering that I started teaching in LA way back in 1985 and even before that at Hallmatk Cards in Kansas City in 1981.

These are the lessons that famous character designers in the animation biz use to teach their classes after they took classes with me. A great many of my students went on to lofty heights utilizing what I taught them and now I'm putting all of that knowledge and more into a publication that will have no equal. Much of the featured art will come from professional projects and shows I've worked on and will back up the ideas and methods I describe.

Once the scanning is complete I'll be able to get the art prepped for digital reproduction and lay it out along with text. Then it's off to the blue yonder. I'm confident you rising stars out there will appreciate it when it's ready. Hopefully not too long.

This is just one area that's keeping me busy. But I'm making good progress across the spectrum. Incidentally I've authored 2 books before and they've both turned into collector's items.

Thanks for your attention and wish me luck as I embark on getting this done!

7 comments:

ClassicMusic20 said...

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Landon Kemp said...

Cool! I'm looking forward to this. Sounds like it'll be a helpful guide.

Sinnamon Jam said...

I wish you luck! You deserve it!

I can't wait to read it. Will you be able to distribute
it outside the US, in places like the UK and Ireland?
Because I really would love to get my hands on it!

Charles Z said...

Thank you guys and yes I don't see why it wouldn't be available outside of the US. As long as you cover shipping and handling it will be sent out.

There's still a good sized pile of material for scanning but I'm at the last of it. The file tally will come in at around 1150 to 1200 with multiple images on many pages. A huge stockpile of material for education. May not fit in to one volume but I'll organize it effectively.

This will be a monumental work in the quality of information and lessons it will contain. Plus the art is pretty.

I also have 2 other books in progress so there's even more art aside from the character design book. I've got a lot of content and I add on to it as I go with new stuff. And then there's the He-Man She-Ra book of art that hasn't been seen. And beyond that. Looks like I've been more active in my career then I thought. Anyway I really enjoy creating and it makes life a lot of fun.

The school is expanding into apparel too. And also heading towards new project development. It's bustling in Burbank.

Anonymous said...

I'd love to get it and learn from your great work

Unknown said...

Yo Charles, idk if you are aware, but there is a page called Crash Bandicoot - The Untold Story on facebook. A lot of the artwork for Tawna has been published, execpt for 2 pieces of artwork. In the project wombat "bible", it has some art that has never been published. https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/12030513_172104696458295_6266260618296634780_o.jpg?dl=1 The one's I am refering to would be the one's one far left, and far right. Do you think you can make Hd scan's of that artwork and post it, and perhaps without a copyright at the bottom?

Charles Z said...

Flippy you'd have to contact Naughty Dog or whoever to make HD images available. That's not something I'd be able to do. Also the page you're referring to is from the early creative material for Willy / Crash. The writing is likely by Joe Pearson. This is not the same source as the production bible I'm familiar with and probably predates this.

I continue to make strong progress with the character design book. Getting a lot done every day just about. Things are falling together so for those interested I'll keep updates coming.

Glad that Crash Untold Story is doing well on FB.